Robbie- Wordsworth and Bolen

Both poems share a common theme of darkness. In the poem I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud by William Wordsworth his darkness that he struggles with is loneliness. He must overcome this himself and show his mind or himself how to be happy. Meanwhile in the poem Quarantine by Eaven Bolen the couple’s darkness is disease. They try to survive by love; however, they are not capable to survive long enough for help.  

Wordsworth’s poem is about self-love. As he says, “I wandered lonely as a cloud”. What helps him is when he sees a group of dandelions dancing in the wind. I interpreted this like the saying that laughter is contagious. The group of dandelions were metaphorically happy and dancing with each other and upon seeing that it made the cloud happy. Now that is his happy place and whenever he is in a dark place that’s the spot he goes in his mind. I have a similar coping method. My happy place is when I play my videogames. I get sucked into another reality where the outside world has no impact on me. It is a sort of escape. But it can also be dangerous leading to procrastination and anxiety. I had to learn how to balance my problems with trying to run away from them. My videogames are nice to take a break from my problems do not get rid of them. I think that’s where most people get into addiction and so on. 

 For example, my freshman year of college I became dependent on drugs and alcohol. I was having problems in school with homework, roommates, and family. I eventually started drinking and doing drugs every day and night just to fall asleep and forget about my problems to feel “happy”. This led to even more problems. I learned that this was a temporary happiness that tricked my mind into thinking there were no problems. I kicked the negative habits and found healthier ways of coping. 

The point is that coping with loneliness and sadness isn't only about being happy. It is about doing it in a healthy manner that will help you now and in the future.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonidas Tsirigotis Date And Time

Poem Analysis (Jackson and McDainels)

iExamen 2