iExamen 1

 Caitlin Dempsey

EN-101-17

iExamen 1

September 27, 2020

I always have my phone on me, but I never realized how much I go on it. As much as I hate to admit it, I am one of those people who checks their phone first thing in the morning and right as they go to sleep. I woke up on Saturday morning and grabbed my phone to check the time. I then looked at my text messages, snapchats, and other social media accounts to see what I “missed” while I was asleep. I then continued my morning routine and went to get my coffee to wake up. I usually am not a morning person, so I don’t answer any texts or snapchats and remain relatively quiet until my “brain wakes up” after my coffee. Once I get myself together, I start to answer people and get on with my day. 

I would say I use snapchat for my main form of communication with my friends. I don’t necessarily have a conversation with all of my “streaks” every day, but I do receive a picture from them daily. It helps me see what my friends are doing and where they are. It also helps me keep in touch with some people who I wouldn’t keep up to date with otherwise. I will text my sister if I think of anything important, or funny, she needs to know. If something is urgent, I will FaceTime either my mom or my sister and one of them will usually answer. If I need to talk to my Dad, I will walk around the house and then start yelling “DAD” if I can’t find him. After about 3 yells I assume he is not home and he doesn’t have his phone on him because he never does. 

Around 2pm I turned off my phone and computer and left them on the kitchen counter. After the first few minutes of no phone and computer I didn’t know what to do with myself. I felt like I was missing something important or something was happening, and I didn’t know about it. I kept going to see what my parents were doing and wondering what my friends were doing. I started to clean my room to pass the time until I could check my phone again. I hate cleaning my room so that says a lot about me being bored. I put my record player on and danced around my room while I cleaned. I listened to my favorite vinyl record all the way through and started to listen to another one when I realized the hour was up. It was nice to actually focus on cleaning my room, which was something my parents kept yelling at me to do the entire week before. Even though it was only an hour I felt very productive. 

 After going back on my phone, I checked all my social media to see what I missed, and it wasn’t very much. I “missed” a few snapchats and a couple pointless Instagram posts. It made me realize that I don’t need to be constantly attached to my phone. I do believe if I was on my phone less, I would be much more productive and probably a little bit happier. This made me realize that I don’t need to be constantly checking what other people are doing and comparing my day to theirs. Being glued to my phone all the time is unnecessary and kind of pointless. From now on I hope to be more conscious about how much time is spent on my phone and spend more time focusing on what is important outside my phone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonidas Tsirigotis Date And Time

Poem Analysis (Jackson and McDainels)

iExamen 2