McDaniel, Jackson, & Getachew

           In the first poem, “The Church of Michael Jordan,” Jeffrey McDaniel connects the sport of basketball to religion. He starts off by comparing the arms of God welcoming prayers to the basketball hoop ready for the ball. This comparison between basketball and prayer is something that I would never think of. McDaniel also makes a comparison between the defenders in the game to obstacles or temptations in life that keep us away from God. Finally, in the last paragraph, I like the connection made between basketball fans and nonbelievers. They both sit around watching everyone else hoping that at some point a miracle occurs in their favor.

          My favorite poem that we read for this class is “Anthem for My Belly After Eating Too Much” because it discusses topics that are important to me. Jackson discusses parts of her body that she is not in love with and brings light to them at the end of the poem. As someone who has suffered from body image and eating issues, I admire the way the poem progresses. She begins with “I’m not trying to be all sad and sorry/ about my body, but I looked in the mirror/ and all the chips I’ve eaten this month have accumulated like schoolwork/ at the bottom of my tummy/ my belly, a country I’m trying to love” (Lines 1-6). I think these opening lines hold great power and accurately explain how it feels to suffer from body dysmorphia/body image issues. She doesn’t want to acknowledge the bad in herself, but sometimes it is inevitable. However, she does mention that she is trying to love all of her imperfections. Towards the end, the author develops an admiration for herself and expresses a love for her body the way it is.

            The last poem, “Flight,” is a beautiful poem that discusses distance between people. When Getachew begins to talk about his mother and his grandmother, I related to this portion the most. My late grandmother, my mom’s mom, fought through her life fighting against major obstacles to give her daughters the best life. She experienced poverty, domestic violence, fatal accidents, and cancer; however, she never stopped fighting. I have always admired my mom and I desire to be exactly like her when I grow up. However, as I got older, I started learning more about how she was raised by her own mother. She introduced me to my mom mom’s life story and opened my eyes to all she experienced. She walked through hell and back and still managed to raise the woman I admire most. After spending 14 beautiful years with my mom mom, the sky now separates us, dividing us from being together. One day I will see her again and celebrate this reunion. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonidas Tsirigotis Date And Time

Poem Analysis (Jackson and McDainels)

iExamen 2