Lauren Bailey iExamen 1

            I chose to conduct my self-analysis and evaluation on Saturday. To say that it was an interesting day is an understatement. I was surprised by how much self-control it took to do this assignment. I learned that detailed self-awareness is a skill that is 1) hard to learn and 2) a skill that ought to be learned and exercised regularly.  

            I learned that I have a very unique perspective. I work at a very high-end and well-known jewelry store in Annapolis. Throughout the day, I realized how much of human interaction and connection stems from non-verbal cues and communication. From the start of my day and the time I got out of bed to get dressed, I realized that I sub-consciously prepared myself for the day thinking about how other people will respond to me. For example, I have found through working, that people will respect me more if I am dressed in a more classic and conservative way. I always try to speak in an articulate and clear manner; however, that is only amplified during the workday. Especially now with the age of wearing masks all day long, I also noticed how much is said (and not said) with the eyes. Just by a seemingly simple glance at a customer’s eyes and eyebrows, I am able to tell if they do not like a piece of jewelry, if they are uncomfortable with the sale price, or even if they are head-over-heels set on the ring, etc. So much of human interaction, and I even dare to say that the majority of communication is not from spoken language, but body language and subtle cues. You can tell a lot about a person before ever speaking to them. I am not around my phone while I am working, so I am definitely more intentional with my time throughout the day. I can pay full attention to a client and direct all of my time and energy to making them feel like the most important thing that I am dealing with, without being distracted with whatever is going on in my “phone life”.  It was interesting though to see how I altered how I communicate at the end of the workday and once I checked my phone. I definitely grew lazier in my written communication compared to how I typically speak. My goal in life is to become a well-rounded individual, a “Renaissance women”, if you will. In my head, my phone prohibits me from achieving that ultimate goal, so I really do try to be careful and considerate with how I use it. After work and after I get home, my body seemed to take a giant breath of relief and my typically introverted self, settled down and was able to relax. I was not surprised by what I learned during this assignment, the thing that struck me was that the lessons I expected to learn were so much more amplified than I anticipated. I liked the challenge of actively working my brain throughout the day to be super aware of every little detail that occurred. I believe it is important to live an intentional life, being aware with how you dress, speak, look at, think of etc. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonidas Tsirigotis Date And Time

Poem Analysis (Jackson and McDainels)

iExamen 2