iExamine 1


Raven Taliaferro

English 101 07

Professor Ellis

28 September 2020

 


iExamine 1

 

During my hour of no technology I decided to do things that I enjoy doing but normally say that I don’t have time to do. I like reading poetry and coloring so I did those two things in my hour. I really like reading poetry because it takes you into a different persons perspective and challenges you to see the world through someone else’s eyes. Coloring was always a coping mechanism for me to handle anxiety or depression. I usually color digitally whenever I had time but this time I used a coloring book and markers. I noticed that using the actual materials instead of doing it digitally has a different feeling. Ironically it feels like a newer exercise to actually hold a marker and color, even though for a long time, that was the only way to color. I noticed that I chose activities that I can do alone, and that I value the time that I get to be alone with myself and mentally relax. Going into this exercise I thought it would just be boring but it was actually relaxing.

I find that after a while of constantly using social media everyday for 5+ hours that I need a mental break from it. I start comparing myself to the people I see, and I realized that doing that is damaging to my own self esteem and over all mental health. For that reason I take social media detoxes. This is when I delete all my social media apps, mainly instagram and twitter for a 5-7 days. It depends on how long I think I need to be away. However after about 3 days I find myself craving again and sometimes I unconsciously open my phone just swipe through instagram, but I realize its not there and just put my phone back down. But not using social media for only an hour was manageable because I knew I’d get it back soon. It makes me think about how we are so used to being on our phones and social media all the time. Some people may see it as a bad thing but I personally love that about my generation. Doing things without technology is fun like hiking, going on a walk, reading a book, etc. but after you finish those things, its like, “now what?” Technology is what makes life less boring and more tolerable.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leonidas Tsirigotis Date And Time

Poem Analysis (Jackson and McDainels)

iExamen 2